[TeXmacs] Some thoughts on editing figures containing drawings

  • From: "David G. Wonnacott" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Some thoughts on editing figures containing drawings
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:37:38 -0400

Hi TeXmacs folks,

I am in the middle of my first attempt at drawing some simple figures with the TeXmacs drawing editor, and thought I'd send a combined feedback/question e-mail.

So far, I'm having good luck learning to use it by just playing with it. I have been able to create a drawing inside a table inside a floating figure, and put words and arrows together in that drawing in the way I want to. I was briefly confused about how to edit the text within the drawing, but double-clicking seems to do the trick. So much for my question :-)

The one thing I find confusing is that there doesn't seem to be any visual feedback regarding which tools I currently have selected. As far as I can tell, the bottom line of icons at the top of the page looks the same after I click on the circle drawing tool over the line-drawing tool; furthermore I don't see feedback about which tool options are on, for example whether I have arrowheads turned on and on about to draw lines. This is with TeXmacs version 1.0.7.3 running on Ubuntu 10.10 (I think), using a remote X session on a Mac (so it is possible that this is just some kind of X11 weirdness).

I will let you know if I have any serious trouble with it, but for now I think I am much happier using it then editing with inkscape and trying to import my work. For one thing, I would've had many, many small .svg files.

Dave Wonnacott