Re: [TeXmacs] Fwd: [Texmacs-dev] Re: savannah downtime

  • From: Yubao Liu <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fwd: [Texmacs-dev] Re: savannah downtime
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:38:19 +0800 (HKT)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:

Hi,
On 2 déc. 2010, at 17:35, Liu Yubao wrote:

I notice your git mirror was just set up two days ago, I suggest you
create
it again when it's not used widely now. Here are the recommended steps:

    * use svn2git, not git-svn directly, I just found svn2git after I
mirrored texmacs
      svn repository, it's annoying that git-svn doesn't convert svn
branches/tags to
      git branches/tags.
          https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git/
          http://help.github.com/svn-importing/

Yes but this would work only for the first import. How to keep the
branches/tags in sync automatically.
Maybe I can just do it by hand...

Seems svn2git works not only for the first import:

https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git
Repository Updates

As of svn2git 2.0 there is a new feature to pull in the latest changes from SVN into your git repository created with svn2git. This is a one way sync, but allows you to use svn2git as a mirroring tool for your SVN repositories.

The command to call is:

$ cd <EXISTING_REPO> && svn2git --rebase

     * think about creating a separate branch from the initial commit
to record git-svn/svn2git
       related meta data like I did, then you could do the
synchronization everywhere quickly
       without synchronizing from scratch or rebuilding git-svn meta
data. This isn't a prefect
       way as the .git/svn directory is 7.6 MB now, maybe it's better
to store it separate from
       the git repository.
       (I don't know if svn2git will save meta data automatically.)

Better solution is for me to provide a tar ball somewhere with an initial
import so to save people
the burden of importing from svn by themselves. In any case it is not very
important. Once an official
git mirror is available and keep in sync I think that most people will clone
from that.

Agree, that's better.

Regards,
Yubao Liu