Re: [TeXmacs] Fwd: [Texmacs-dev] Re: savannah downtime

  • From: Yubao Liu <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fwd: [Texmacs-dev] Re: savannah downtime
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:05:39 +0800 (HKT)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:

Hi,

On 2 déc. 2010, at 17:35, Liu Yubao wrote:

* use an author file to obtain pretty author information in git,
a full author list could be
obtained by parsing output of comand "svn log
svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/texmacs".

I was trying to implement this but I'm not sure I want to pubish full email
for authors. Author name can be retrived from Savannah. Why is important to
have not only nick names in the repository?
I guess it's a good practice in git world to use pretty "author <email>" format for commit logs. Anyway, email addresses like author@64cb5145-927a-446d-8aed-2fb7b4773692
are nonsense. If retriving full email isn't convenient or leaks author's private information, I think format "author" is better than "author <author@UUID>".

PS: I fond this

http://jausoft.com/blog/2009/07/08/svn-to-git-migration-1/

which explain how to manually mirror the svn branches and tags in git. I
think I prefer this than an automated script like svn2git. It allows me to
understand better the implications of the operation.

I read it, very detailed and complicated:-)
When I mirrored texmacs svn repository to git repository, I thought to cleanup the branches/tags mess, it's very simple thanks to standard layout of texmacs repository:

$ git svn clone -s --authors-file=svn-authors \
svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/texmacs
$ cd texmacs

create git tags:
$ git branch -a | grep "remotes/" | grep -v "remotes/origin" |
grep "/tags/" | while read t; do n=${t##*/}; git tag $n $t; done

create git branches:
$ git branch -a | grep "remotes/" | grep -v "remotes/origin" |
grep -v "/tags/" | while read t; do n=${t##*/}; git branch --track $n
$t; done

These command can be executed multiple times because git will fail for existed branches and tags.

I didn't do this because I wanted to let it be the original state, no my fingerprint.

And about the svn-sync way described in that blog, I'm opposite to it.
As I remember, svn-sync would introduce extra svn properties to record
synchronization state which are nonsense for git. The texmacs repository
isn't very big, I mirrored it directly with git-svn in about four hours.

I recommend you give svn2git a try, maybe it considers more details.

Regards,
Yubao Liu