Integrate reencoded fonts by Aleksandr Dobkin (was: [TeXmacs] Times and Ugly Type 3 fonts)

  • From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Integrate reencoded fonts by Aleksandr Dobkin (was: [TeXmacs] Times and Ugly Type 3 fonts)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 18:46:06 +0200

I found the fonts kindly made available by Aleksandr Dobkin[1] to be
key to obtaining good typographic quality with TeXmacs. Thank you
Aleksander for sharing this invaluable
contribution.

Although Computer Modern fonts look nice, they are too light and
hence, tiring for the eye.

But if one uses e.g. Times in TeXmacs, the resulting pdfs have jagged
letters and one cannot use variants such as e.g. small capitals; math
mode doesn't use the prescribed font, either.

I've attached a screenshot that makes apparent the problem. Top:
current Times font bundled with TeXmacs, bottom reencoded version.

Would it be possible to integrate Aleksandr's work into the main
distribution, as a default?

-á.

[1] https://gitorious.org/texmacs-better-fonts/texmacs-better-fonts-pfb

PS. @Alexandr: instead of overwriting my-init-texmacs.scm as is
currently the case,
one can place the new font rules and menus in a separate file, e.g.
TeXmacs/menus/menu-dobkinfonts.scm. This file can be then loaded from
the user's my-init-texmacs.scm by adding this line:

(use-modules (menus menu-dobkinfonts))

separating the font rules from the menu definitions themselves is
probably cleaner.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 06:48, Aleksandr Dobkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago I reencoded a number of popular fonts for use with
> TeXmacs. They all have proper ligature and kerning support. A few
> like, like Times (Nimbus Roman No9) have math support and small
> capitals.
>
> See a sample here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384906/texmacs-fonts/sample.pdf
>
> Download here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384906/texmacs-fonts/fonts-f.zip
>
> Instructions:
>
> Run 'install.sh' to install the fonts into your local .TeXmacs
> directory. This will overwrite your own my-init-texmacs.scm if you
> have it! In TeXmacs there will be a new FreeFonts menu.
>
> The license for all of these fonts is GPL with the embedding
> exception, with the exception of DejaVu.
>
> Is this what you were looking for?
>
> Aleksandr Dobkin
>
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Okay I ended up renaming uwr from their orginal names to things like:
>>
>> rphvboc.pfb  rphvbo.pfb  rphvb.pfb  rphvbrc.pfb  rphvroc.pfb  rphvro.pfb
>> rphvr.pfb  rphvrrc.pfb
>>
>> But this cannot possible be the right way to deal with this problem.
>>
>> What is the proper way of getting type 1 fonts for Times and Helvetica?
>>
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, address@hidden wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know where I can get type 1 fonts for Times?

>> --
>> Russell O'Connor                                      <http://r6.ca/>
>> ``All talk about `theft,''' the general counsel of the American Graphophone
>> Company wrote, ``is the merest claptrap, for there exists no property in
>> ideas musical, literary or artistic, except as defined by statute.''

  • Integrate reencoded fonts by Aleksandr Dobkin (was: [TeXmacs] Times and Ugly Type 3 fonts), Alvaro Tejero Cantero, 09/01/2011