Re: [TeXmacs] Literate Programming Preview

  • From: Sam Liddicott <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Literate Programming Preview
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 08:01:47 +0100

On 01/09/11 11:03, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Dear Sam,

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 05:34:03PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
I've done some more work on my fangle literate programming
(http://www.nongnu.org/fangle/)

I've completed the first TeXmacs part of the getting started guide
at http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/fangle.git/tree/docs/getting-started.pdf
which leads through production of this document
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/fangle.git/tree/docs/examples/hello-world.pdf

I would appreciate it very much if those who find these two PDF
interesting would try it out.

A fuller version of hello-world is available that explains the
features from the readers point of view instead of the authors:
http://www.nongnu.org/fangle/examples/hello-world.pdf

Fangle works well with TeXmacs and I use it every day for writing
and documenting software.

There's still some features crippled by notable bugs, such as
inability to properly include commas in parameters (it's supposed to
work) and the fact that including a text chunk in a #-marked comment
doesn't prefix all lines with # (it's supposed to work, along with $
quoting for text included in makefiles and so on).
Thanks for posting your work, which looks promising,
despite a few problems with the macros on my system.

Most problems I know of are fixed with a few document->update-all invocations. Remaining problems are due to the non-purging of stale labels, but my git commit filter clears labels and toc from the document anyway so this doesn't bite me.

If there are other problems with the macro's I'd love to know.

You should try to encapsulate your work in a plug-in,
with keyboard shortcuts, menus, and in which the nf-chunk
can be added to the enumerate tags during the initialization
(even better would be to add the line numbers automatically,
of course). I also miss a menu item or keyboard shortcut
for generating the target files from within TeXmacs.

Notice that plug-ins can document themselves from version 1.0.7.12 on.

I will do a plugin to add nf-chunk o the enumerate tags, and do some keyboard shortcuts.

I would like to make rendering line numbers as part of mode=prog rendering, with|prog-counter|... to tell it which counter to use.
I also want to have the syntax highlighting of mode=prog to traverse the named chunk and any inclusions.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Best, --Joris