Re: [TeXmacs] presentation for secondary teachers

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] presentation for secondary teachers
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 09:43:33 +0100

Dear Sacha,

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 07:08:40AM +0100, El.Douwen wrote:
> i am writing a book that will be sold to secondary teachers and students in
> France
> i am writing it with texmacs, thought i encounter problems (how to
> disappear the headers...)

Nice initiative; we will discuss technical problems separately.

> in the beginning of the book i will make a short presentation of texmacs

Yes, that seems a nice idea. This might also be an appendix.

> the minimum i am allowed to do is giving the adress of a website presenting
> texmacs
> i would like to give you the suggestion of creating a special page on
> texmacs.org for secondary french teachers

We can give you write access to the SVN repository, which also contains
the TeXmacs web site. It might be a good idea to translate at least part
of the website in French and add the pages that you wish.

> these people would find lots of advantages using texmacs, i dont have to
> convince anybody for that here
> here are my suggestions :
> - creating a page in french with presentation for secondary teachers, who
> have particular demands, that i and ohters can list easily

OK.

> - creating a .dmg, or the equivalent for windows and linux (QT version if i
> have understood) that would install automatically texmacs AND professor

This is possible, but requires more thought. We probably would point
to such a page on the particular page for secondary teachers and students.
I have undertaken great efforts to simplify the download pages to a strict
minimum,
so I tend to avoid various versions of TeXmacs with lots of options at the
main download pages.

> - dealing with geogebra programmers to make something so that in one click
> the geogebra figure in the active gg window be inserted/linked as image in
> the opened texmacs documetn (i see a script in gg that would export as png
> at a certain place of the harddisk and a script in texmacs that would get
> the image at this place)

This is possible, but requires work from our side. I think that
we should discuss the evolution of the plug-in mechanism at the workshops and
make a decision who might work on this issue.

> if these tree points are ok, i think that lot of people in secondary french
> school can discover and maybe adopt texmacs
> i would like to know if any on this list are interested

That is indeed a prioritary goal for us, so we will do as much as we can
in order to assist you.

Best wishes, --Joris