[TeXmacs] questions about sessions

  • From: Michael Lachmann <address@hidden>
  • To: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] questions about sessions
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:07:57 +0800

Hi,

Still working on the R interface.

I have some questions....

1. I'd like to be able to have configurable options for the session.
(For example, what counts as a prompt....).
I could store this in an external file, and read it in, or it could be
handled by TeXmacs (or by R, or all of the above...). So, my question
is:
How do I send input to the session right after it loaded?
The :launch attribute gives a shell command to execute.
The :initialize attribute is used before the session starts, I think.
So, how can I send something right after the session starts?

2. A related question is what is the best way to send a command to my
interface. TeXmacs defines the COMMAND code,
\020, which is used with tab completion. What is the best way to send
my own command with that code?

3. I really like working with several R sessions at once. For example,
they can be on different machines, or when
I want different data to be loaded in different sessions. I added a
flag to my program that specifies the session name, which is then
added
to the prompt, like this, for example
[1] >
If the session name is "1".

Currently I start different sessions with make-session, like this:
(kbd-map ("R 3 ."
(make-session "r" "default3")))

(kbd-map ("R 2 ."
(make-session "r" "default2")))

Can the 2nd argument to make-session reach the :launcher, so that it
can be added to the command argument?
Or, maybe there's a much better way to achieve the same?

4. Is there any way to ask TeXmacs how many characters fit into the
current page with the current font? I'm using
a fixed size font in R, and I'd like to tell R what the page width is...

Thanks
Michael