Re: [TeXmacs] folds

  • From: Michael Lachmann <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] folds
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:59:14 +0100

Digging up an old discussion....

On 13 December 2012 20:40, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Finally, I noticed that with a document that includes group-folds
>> nested to third level, where some of the folds are fairly big (but not
>> too big, a couple of sessions that cover, maybe 5-6 screenfuls, no
>> graphics), Certain parts of the document are very slow, where typing
>> gives something like 1 char a second or even less.
>> Does anyone know Why I get this slowness? How to avoid it? Is it the
>> group-folds? Is it too many nested folds?
>
> Folds are not optimized for speed, especially when using varsession,
> which is based on tables. I definitely want to do something about
> this one day, but probably not sometime soon.

What I would really like to have is some kind of fold, where one can
easily see where the fold starts and where it ends. Experience shows
that all folds that do this by having some kind of bar on the left, or
left and right, such as the "grouped" fold, and varsession, become
extremely slow when the fold contents is large. So slow that it is,
for me, impossible to work with them....

But, Maybe one can do a fold that instead of displaying something on
the left/right, displays something at the top/bottom. The
"documentation" fold does that, and seems it has no slowdown.
Does any other similar folding environment exist?

Thanks!
Michael

  • Re: [TeXmacs] folds, Michael Lachmann, 02/12/2013