Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs table caption

  • From: Miguel de Benito Delgado <address@hidden>
  • To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs table caption
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:05:42 +0100

Hi,

welcome to the list Rodolfo.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Rodolfo Jordao <address@hidden> wrote:
> First, how do set the caption above the table floating object? i tried to
> modify the macro but my current knowledge of the inner language workings are
> quite limited... could someone help me out in this?

I recommend you start with Tools->Edit macros... You can filter the
macros on the left pane and look at how macros related to the one you
are interested in are defined. This is how I found out that I needed
to copy "render-small-figure", just inverting the rows in the table. I
looked for small-table, then saw that it used render-small-figure
(select "source" at the bottom left of the dialog.

This is the result:

<assign|render-small-figure-rev|<macro|type|name|fig|cap|<tabular*|<tformat|<cwith|1|-1|1|-1|cell-lsep|0spc>|<cwith|1|-1|1|-1|cell-rsep|0spc>|<cwith|2|2|1|1|cell-height|0.5fn>|<twith|table-valign|B>|<cwith|3|3|1|1|cell-hyphen|t>|<twith|table-width|1par>|<twith|table-hmode|min>|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-lsep|0spc>|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-rsep|0spc>|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-hyphen|t>|<cwith|3|3|1|1|cell-lsep|0spc>|<cwith|3|3|1|1|cell-rsep|0spc>|<table|<row|<\cell>

<small|<\surround|<figure-name|<arg|name><figure-sep>><list-caption|<arg|type>|<arg|cap>>|>
<arg|cap>
</surround>>
</cell>>|<row|<cell|>>|<\row>
<resize|<arg|fig>|<minus|1l|2fn>||<plus|1r|2fn>|>
</row>>>>>>

It looks awful, yes. Just copy the text and inside TeXmacs go to
Edit->Paste from->TeXmacs. Something will be copied but you won't see
it: just hit backspace to "deactivate" the macro and see its contents.
You will have to deactivate the inner macros as well to see their
contents.

Now all you need to do is create a new small-table macro which uses this one:

<assign|small-table-rev|<macro|body|caption|<compound|next-table><render-small-figure-rev|table|<compound|table-text>
<compound|the-table>|<arg|body>|<arg|caption>>>>

Again, copy the code and "Edit->Paste from->TeXmacs" into a document.

You'll want to add these two to your own style file in
~/.TeXmacs/packages, so you can use it in every document without
having to create a preamble or pasting the macros directly in the text
as we did.

> Second, is it hard to create a own type of title page? understand this as
> the amount of hack needed.

Nope, it shouldn't be hard. Search for "title" in the documentation.
You can also look at some style file and look at how it's done (you
can search in code with Shift+F1). It can be a bit confusing at the
beginning but it pays off ;)

> Lastly, how do i change the bibliography layout? I need to make it into a
> harvard
> style referencing (the package cite-author-year already took care of the
> in-text problems!)

This is quite more complicated. Either you write a scheme file copying
what is done for the "tm-*" styles, or you use external (ru)bibtex. I
have no experience with the latter, though.

It'd be great to have CSL support but someone has to write it...

> As a veteran of Latex (Not expert! just some years of experience) i must say
> that the basics that anyone would need are perfectly cooked up. The main
> drawback that i found so far that may keep me from switching permanently
> from Latex/Lyx is the lack of complete documentation if one wants to "dive
> in", the user manual does not have all that may be needed.

This is true and in the spirit of many open source projects you'll
have to see how things are done (in the style files, in the scheme
code) to do your own stuff. It can be frustrating at times. However,
the manual contains a wealth of information which is just not so easy
to find / browse. Be sure to search thoroughly and / or ask here.

Good luck!

PS: on second thought I might add this -rev macros (and the rest for
figures, unnumbered environments, etc.) to the code base. They are
handy and common enough to be offered as standard variants of the
standard ones. Stay tuned...
--
Miguel de Benito.