[TeXmacs] TeXmacs can't display moderately detailed Gnuplot graphs.

  • From: "Jarrad W." <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs can't display moderately detailed Gnuplot graphs.
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 13:21:42 +1000

Running TeXmacs 1.99.4 on Linux, if I try to use an Executable Fold or a
Session to execute the following Gnuplot script, TeXmacs fails to
display the result.

set pm3d map ;
set samples 64;
set isosamples 64 ;
I = 1 ;
f = 33.3E6 ;
c = 3E8 ;
lambda = c/f ;
beta = 2*pi/lambda ;
L = lambda/2 ;
j = {0, 1} ;
omega = 2*pi*f ;
mu = 1 ;
A_z(r) = (-j*omega*mu*I*exp(-j*beta*r))/(2*pi*r*beta)*(1-cos(beta*L/2)) ;
r(x,y) = x**2 + y**2 ;
r2(x,y,y1) = x**2 + (y-y1)**2 ;
set xrange [-1000:1000] ;
set yrange [-1000:1000] ;
set logscale zcb ;
set contour ;
splot(abs( A_z(r(x,y)) + A_z(r2(x,y,lambda)) )) ;

If I set samples and isosamples down to something very low, (like 4 or
8), then TeXmacs does display the result. This happens with either
Gnuplot 4.6 or 5 installed.

This leads me to believe that TeXmacs assumes the intermediate eps to be
small (or for it to be created in a very short time), and failure occurs
when this assumption is false.

Is there any way for me, as a user, to fix or work around this (beyond
generating my plots manually, which negates much of the benefit of using
TeXmacs)?

Jarrad