[TeXmacs] Small tutorial for Texmacs under Linux Mint 18.1

  • From: Anderson Brasil <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Small tutorial for Texmacs under Linux Mint 18.1
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 00:19:54 -0200

    I've just installed TeXmacs in my notebook with an almost totally fresh install of Linux Mint 18.1, so I think that I've got all the required libraries. As TeXmacs isn't available at ubuntu repositories anymore, I thought that it might be good to create a small recipe for noobs to be easily able to install TeXmacs on ubuntu.

1) Update your whole system:
sudo apt-get update

2) Install all the required libraries:
sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev guile-1.8-dev libqt4-dev libxext-dev automake g++ libgmp3-dev subversion

3) Create the directory for installing texmacs:
mkdir ~/texmacs

4) Enter into the installing directory:
cd ~/texmacs

5) Download the latest source code:
svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/texmacs/trunk/src
    OBS: This procedure will install the latest ("unstable") version of
    texmacs, because I had issues compiling the stable version. Anyway,
    despite the name, this version works pretty well.

6) Get into src directory:
cd src

7) Run configure (step 1 for compiling):
sudo ./configure

8) Run make (step 2 for compiling):
sudo make

9) Run make install (step 3 for compiling)
sudo make install

10) Open texmacs:
texmacs &

    Feel free to adapt this text (and correct the several grammar mistakes that I've certainly have done here) and to post it at texmacs web site. I feel that that site is missing a tutorial recipe for newbies at ubuntu. Just my five cents to help spread this amazing piece of software.

    Anderson Brasil