Re: [TeXmacs] Small tutorial for Texmacs under Linux Mint 18.1

  • From: Karl Hegbloom <address@hidden>
  • To: Philippe Joyez <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Small tutorial for Texmacs under Linux Mint 18.1
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:53:51 +0000

Yawn... just woke up... you only need that to build a .deb.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017, 08:53 Karl Hegbloom <address@hidden> wrote:

You can compile with fakeroot.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017, 05:25 Philippe Joyez <address@hidden> wrote:
>As TeXmacs isn't available at ubuntu repositories anymore, I thought that it
might be good to create a
>small recipe for noobs to be easily able to install TeXmacs on Ubuntu.

Thanks for providing an up-to-date recipe for compiling TeXmacs on Ubuntu.
However, let me point out
that using "sudo" is not recommended at points 7 and 8; only "make install"
needs it.

Also, unless you want to hack the c++ code, an easier solution to get the
latest TeXmacs is to use the
new repos located at :

https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:slowphil:texmacs-devel&package=texmacs

There are instructions on that website to add the relevant repo to your
distribution (for Mint 18.1,
pick "xUbuntu 16.04"). This way your system will check for updates and keep
you up to date with the
current development.

For the more conservatives, there is also a repo proposing the latest
officially released version,
presently 1.99.5. (and that version indeed needed a small patch in order to
compile in Debian/Ubuntu.)

I'm in touch with Joris to see if these repos (or a copy of them) could become
TeXmacs' official
distribution channel for linux distros.