Re: [TeXmacs] Suggestions for making TeXmacs more popular.

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Suggestions for making TeXmacs more popular.
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 11:20:11 +0200

Am 04.05.2019 um 14:13 schrieb Massimiliano Gubinelli:
Dear Amir,

 let me comment a bit on your proposal below,

On 3. May 2019, at 21:58, Amir Michail <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello,

I think the following suggestions could make TeXmacs a lot more popular:

(cut)

* make it more difficult to accidentally nest environments in unexpected and hard to correct ways

This is indeed an issue: many unexperienced TeXmacs users (e.g. my students) leave a lot of garbage in their TeXmacs files because essentially they are not aware of many environments they create accidentally. This poses a lot of problems in LaTeX exporting, for example. Maybe it would be good to have some kind of “Lint” tool for TeXmacs which could highlights problems like empty environments or math outside math environments, which are not strictly errors but maybe likely unintended behavior.

Here the "No style" style might be a temporary solution, maybe with slight adaptations. I have checked it and it sets equations and tables, so that the document is legible, but it places the "structure tags"  (I have tried a section, an itemization, a table and an equation). I have see that it did not place a tag in a table which I wrote inside a table, so maybe this would have to be changed; and perhaps also one could eliminate the tags which indicate character changes (i.e. strong, emphasize). Finally, change the style name into "structure" :-)