Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs' responsiveness

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs' responsiveness
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 16:05:42 +0200

Hi all,

I recently finetuned the responsiveness; I don't remember whether
this occurred between versions 1.99.9 and 1.99.10, but this is possible.

In fact, there is a trade-off between 'latency' and 'throughput'.

If you are typing a sufficiently simple document, the typesetting+rendering
is fast after each key event. In that case, it is best to render incoming
text
on the fly, i.e. to priviledge a reduced latency.

If you are typing a somewhat more complex document, then the typesetting+
rendering may take more than 0.1 second. In such a 'regime', it is better to
group several keyboard events together and redisplay incoming text in chunks,
and a little bit less frequently. Otherwise, TeXmacs keeps displaying
new characters several seconds after you typed them.

The new implementation forces TeXmacs to render incoming text when you
type the space bar. When typing fast, you should thus see text appearing
word by word. For an empty document, the latency is perceptable,
especially on slower computers, but not huge, in my opinion.
It would be nice if we could reduce it further, but that does
not seem particularly easy.

Best wishes, --Joris