arXiv

  • From: Basile Audoly <address@hidden>
  • To: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: arXiv
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:23:22 +0200

Dear TeXmacs users,
arXiv is blocking submissions from TeXmacs. I have submitted for the following bug report with them. I would encourage you to send a similar email if you encounter difficulties. Maybe they will take it seriously if many of us complain?
Best wishes,
Basile

Hello,
I am writing my papers using GNU TeXmacs (www.texmacs.org), a wonderful, free, multi-platform editor for scientific documents. Its name might be misleading but TeXmacs is *not* related to TeX/LaTeX: it has its own typesetting engine.
When I submit to arXiv a PDF file produced with TeXmacs, it is incorrectly recognized as being produced by LaTeX, and the submission process is blocked until I provide the latex sources which do not exist. This makes it effectively impossible to submit TeXmacs document to arXiv. This is very unfortunate as TeXmacs is a great software, arguably superior to LaTeX in several aspects.
I am attaching a sample TeXmacs document. I am hoping that you can either correct your LaTeX detection algorithm so that similar documents do not get erroneously blocked, or let me know which properties of the PDF document exactly are used to tag it as being produced LaTeX, so I can help the TeXmacs developers identify a work-around.
TeXmacs is a great free software that needs encouragements from our community and not additional barriers.
Best wishes,
(your name here)

  • arXiv, Basile Audoly, 07/10/2021
    • arXiv, Christopher Dimech, 07/10/2021