Invisible symbols

  • From: Sébastien Brisard <address@hidden>
  • To: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Invisible symbols
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 06:12:05 +0100 (CET)

Hello (again),

I have now a question regarding the invisible symbols (§3.9 of the manual), a
great feature that is clearly missing in LaTeX.

I understand that the `function application` symbol allows to disambiguate
products in situations like `sin x`, where there are traditionnally no
brackets
around the argument. How about more standard situations, like `f(x)`? Should I
place a `function application` symbol between `f` and `(`? Semantically, it
*is*
a function application. However, from the perspective of inter-operation with
programming language, I guess the symbol is not necessary, as `f(x)` would
correctly be interpreted. From the perspective of (beautiful) type-setting,
this
might be different.

Same question then goes to something like `D²f(x)(δx, δy)` (second
differential
of `f` at `x`, evaluated for the increments `δx` and `δy`).

Thanks!

Sébastien

---

Sébastien Brisard

Laboratoire Navier (UMR 8205)
École des Ponts, Université Gustave Eiffel, CNRS
F-77455 Marne-la-Vallée
+33(0)1 64 15 37 51
[ https://cv.archives-ouvertes.fr/sbrisard |
https://cv.archives-ouvertes.fr/sbrisard ]