Font size calculation

  • From: Jeroen Wouters <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Font size calculation
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 08:03:38 +0000

Hello fellow TeXmacs users,

I recently decided to use TeXmacs to compose a document for submission
to a UK funding agency. They can be notoriously strict about the font
size used in submitted documents, so I double checked the font size of
the PDF before submission.

I was surprised to find that the font size was quite a bit off from
what was selected in TeXmacs. A 11pt Liberation Sans font comes out as
9.42pt in the PDF (checked in both Inkscape and Adobe Reader).

Different fonts result in different sizes, some larger and some smaller
than what was selected. Liberation Sans was the most extreme case, but
it is the font I need to use for this document.

I realize that LaTeX does something similar, but there the results are
less extreme (Liberation Sans 11pt resulting in a 10.91pt output font).
LibreOffice Writer outputs at exactly 11pt.

Does anyone know how the font size of the PDF is calculated? Is there
any way to set an exact PDF font size?

Best wishes,
Jeroen