Re: A new website for students with computers -- that talks about TeXmacs

  • From: David Latreyte <address@hidden>
  • To: Nicolas <address@hidden>
  • Cc: texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: A new website for students with computers -- that talks about TeXmacs
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 19:10:19 +0400

Hello,

I went through your site and the amount and quality of the informations are impressive!
Congratulations!

Bye.
————
David Latreyte
address@hidden

Le 18/03/2022 à 02:48, Nicolas <address@hidden> a écrit :

Dear TeXmacs users and developers,

I spent the last 2 years in prépa, studying maths and physics exclusively on a computer. For those of you who wonder, I did not do this by choice but because I started to have difficulties writing by hand during the first year of prepa.

TeXmacs literally saved my studies, being the only app that made writing maths and physics intuitive, fast and beautiful. I would like to tell all of those who help develop and maintain TeXmacs, as well as engage in this very mailing list, the extent of my gratitude for the help they provided.
To write even faster (as fast as my teacher in class), I also configured myself a fully programmable keyboard with macros that insert the most common mathematical symbols.

When I began having difficulties writing, I remember that I had a lot of trouble finding apps and solutions to study exclusively on a computer. Surprisingly, I could not find any relevant help on the internet when I searched for my problem. TeXmacs wasn't referenced in any of the websites brought up by my searches (it was introduced to me by a classmate), and I have not yet heard about someone else using a programmable keyboard in class and explaining it online.

A lot of people who saw my setup suggested that I make a website, to explain to other students in need how I managed to continue studying in prepa with a computer.
Now that I have more free time in my life, I decided to go for it and learn HTML5 and CSS3 in the process. You can find the website at prepaordi.fr (I decided to write it in french). Please give me your feedback on the content and form of the website, if you see ways in which both should be improved ! I would also be pleased if you could inform me of any bugs, as I have learnt web programming very recently.
In the website, I explain in great detail what equipment and software made my studies possible on a computer, so that other people can reproduce it and adapt it to their needs. Two pages are dedicated to TeXmacs and its features.

I hope this website will help many students who have difficulties writing, and in particular convince them that it is possible to study science exclusively on a computer, even in very intense and demanding courses such as prepa.
I also believe that the solutions I present in my website could help a much wider audience : it could help all students learning science on a computer, and more generally anyone who wishes to write maths and physics efficiently on a computer.
Therefore, if you like the content of the website and believe that it could help people on a particular platform, website, forum, mailing list etc., do not hesitate to share it.

I am, once again, open to any suggestions about the content, form and potentially bugs... of the website : please feel free to give me yours.
Again, thank you to every TeXmacs user and dev which helped me in the last two years,
Best wishes,
Nicolas.