Re: LaTeX export produces TeX syntax $x=y$ instead of LaTeX syntax, intentional or not?

  • From: Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden>
  • To: Maxime Devos <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Basile Audoly <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: LaTeX export produces TeX syntax $x=y$ instead of LaTeX syntax, intentional or not?
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 15:06:49 +0200

Dear all,

I cannot speak for Joris, but in my experience $...$ is the most common way
people around me write LaTeX, so I guess it was intentional in the sense that
it is what is usually done. It would be interesting to download a sample from
the arXiv and see which is the distribution of different usages. Anyway is
not a fundamental issue and actually quite easy to change in the export. It
is not clear to me why we would like to do it. If the exported file is not
used by humans then both kind of exports are correct and therefor fine, if it
used by humans (e.g. to further modify it), it would be good to stick to the
more common usage which is easier to type, but again the opposite opinion is
also understandable to me.

Best regards,
Massimiliano Gubinelli

ps: I do not think that we should make a decision using a discussion in stack
exchange. I would prefer a sample of documents from the real world which give
a better picture of the current situation. If LaTeX wanted to discourage this
attitude it would have made so that $...$ is invalid in LaTeX.

pps: Again I agree that /( /) express better the start and end of the math,
and more easily parsable by a machine. But I do not think it is a fundamental
issue. Certainly we should not discuss much here on the TeXmacs mailing list
what it is appropriate in LaTeX :)