TeXmacs and QCL

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs and QCL
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:30:01 +0600

Hello *,

I am now starting a course on quantum mechanics for computing science
majors, and I use TeXmacs (naturally). I decided to demonstrate basic
concepts of quantum computing using QCL, a GPLed interpreter and quantum
computer emulator. Therefore, I made an interface to use QCL from TeXmacs.
This is a quick hack, maybe, some things are broken.

patch.gz is a patch against qcl-0.4.1, see http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~oemer/
First, it didn't want to compile out of the box on RedHat 7.2. I had to
rename the method
not()
because compiler thinks it's a keyword, and had to make some struct member
public because the compiler complained when its type was used in other
places. Then, there are a number of changes which are triggered by
--texmacs
option: qcl with this option outputs various ctrl-chars which are then
converted by a filter into various things needed for TeXmacs. And finally,
I made output of quantum states (esp. with complex coefficients) look
nicer. I'm not quite sure that I haven't broken something in QCL while
doing this sort of changes.

qcl.gz contains the TeXmacs-QCL interface. If you compile qcl_filter.cc
and put all files to their proper directories, the interface will work.
QCL looks much brighter under TeXmacs with different colours etc.

I don't know, maybe, nobody will ever want to start QCL from TeXmacs, and
this interface will be used only once (by me, during one lecture). If
somebody else is interested, here it is.

Best wishes,
Andrey