Re: Compiling texmacs-1.0.0.11

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Compiling texmacs-1.0.0.11
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:21:31 +0200

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 07:13:25PM +0200, Martin Costabel wrote:

> BTW, the disappearance of the gencc system leads to a drastic *increase*
> in compile time: Compiling texmacs-1.0.0.8 takes 4 minutes on a G4/733
> with gcc-2.95.2, whereas texmacs-1.0.0.11 takes 24 minutes. The same
> factor of six(!) can be observed on a G3/700 with gcc-3.1.

Are you sure you are actually compiling with the same optimization
flags?

Before 1.0.0.10, the default behaviour was to compile without
optimization, and now we compile with "-O3 -fexpensive-optimizations"
which definitely increases compile time a lot, but also leads to a
twofold increase of performance for the resulting binary (at least on
Intel).

Apart from the optimization flags, the other major difference is that
we use the regular one-source-one-object correspondence, while older
versions aggregated multiple sources files in one object file. We
noticed that this caused a slight constant increase of compilation
time (about 10-20% w/o optimization) we attributed to the increased
overhead of parsing header files for each object file.

There was also support for for aggregate compilation until before
merging, but that made the makefiles much more complicated and relied on
some dirty tricks, so when Joris asked me to remove it I did so
happily.

PS: maybe that kind of discussion would be better in texmacs-dev?

--

-- David --