Re: Tables: Double escape prefix for alt modifier does not work

  • From: Enrique Perez-Terron <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Tables: Double escape prefix for alt modifier does not work
  • Date: 01 May 2003 15:38:59 +0200
On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 23:23, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using TeXmacs-1.0.1.8, and am having trouble creating a table.
> I have found the "Tabular material" page in the manual, saying that I
> can create a new column to the right of the cursor position by pressing
> A-right.
>
> On my system it appears that the Alt key is the Meta modifier.
>
> In the "Getting started" page of the manual I read that I can use Escape
> twice as a prefix instead of the Alt key. But, when I press Escape the
> second time, it does not seem to have any effect.
>
> (By the way, the Getting started page also says "For instance,
> <key|escape w> is equivalent to <key|A-w>." I guess it should be
> "equivalent to M-w".)
>
> I create the table using the menu Insert->Table->Big table, and the a
> blue outline appears around a full-width area with the cursor centered
> in a first row, and the text "Table 1" in boldface in a second row.
> The status line says "generic text roman 10" and "big-table start".
>
> I want the upper left square of the table to contain a zero, so I press
> zero, and the status bar says "big-table 0".
>
> Then I press Escape and the status bar says "Execute a TeXmacs command"
> and "M-" appears in the right hand corner.
>
> The second time I press Escape nothing seems to happen. The status bar
> still has "Execute a TeXmacs command" and "M-".
>
> Then I press the right arrow key, and the status bar reverts to "generic
> text roman 10" and "big-table 0".
>
> Is there any other way of creating tables?
>
> Regards,
> Enrique Perez-Terron

I found the solution myself. It turns out that using the menu
Insert->Table->Big table does not insert a table. It only inserts some
kind of framework for keeping a caption below the table that still has
to be created using one of the four table types below the divider in the
menu.

I wish the manual had said something about that.

Regards,
Enrique Pérez-Terrón

  • Re: Tables: Double escape prefix for alt modifier does not work, Enrique Perez-Terron, 05/01/2003