Re: texmacs 1.0.1.10 and gs, one more thing

  • From: Martin Costabel <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Kostas Oikonomou <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: texmacs 1.0.1.10 and gs, one more thing
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 10:49:38 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Hi,

Kostas Oikonomou did some experimentation concerning the bug
with ghostscript 8.00, but he seems to be on hollidays now :^)
So if you have a problem with ghostscript 8.00 and know how
to compile TeXmacs, then maybe you can follow the suggestions
below and let me know if the problem disappears.

No such luck here (texmacs-1.0.1.11 on MacOSX, gs-8.00).

I tried all possible combinations with -dNOPROMPT, but the behavior rests the same. Only Ctrl-C from the command line finishes the gs process and lets texmacs proceed.

I forgot to mention that a small test program works fine with gs 8.00:

All the "small test programs" I tried worked fine, even with TeXmacs' original gs command line. This system call from inside a texmacs menu item seems to have a different environment that lets gs hang in a select() call right at the end before it finishes.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
string temp_name, command;
temp_name = "/home/ko/exper/tm_gnu1.ps";
command = "gs -q -sDEVICE=x11 -dNOPROMPT -dBATCH -dSAFER " + temp_name;
cout << command << "\n";
system (command.c_str());
cout << "Done calling gs...\n";
// system ("rm -f " * temp_name);
}

Thank you for this very useful feedback.
Can you please try to modify the lines

system ("gs -q -sDEVICE=x11 -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER " *
temp_name * " -c quit");

into

system ("gs -q -sDEVICE=x11 -dNOPROMPT -dBATCH -dSAFER " *
temp_name * " -c quit");

or

system ("gs -q -sDEVICE=x11 -dNOPROMPT -dBATCH -dSAFER " *
temp_name);

in src/Windows/X/x_drawable.cc and test TeXmacs
after recompilation?