Re: Mac OSX 10.2 and keyboard mapping

  • From: Michèle Garoche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Mac OSX 10.2 and keyboard mapping
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 00:05:24 +0200

Le jeudi, 1 mai 2003, à 20:45 Europe/Paris, John Hernlund a écrit :

Hi There,
I'm running texmacs on MacOS 10.2, and everything works fine except for the ghostscript hang-up (not a great problem, I'm sure future versions will get rid of this bug)
Just launch texmacs in an xterm or equivalent with: texmacs, so that you could ctrl-C in the xterm to pass the gs hang (on any ps file), for the pnmtops problem open a terminal, type ps -aux to obtain the currently running processes and kill the gs process which hangs.

and the keyboard mapping for alt, meta, etc.. Anybody have any luck with a method for re-mapping the keys to be compatible with a Mac keyboard?
Read help->configuration->keyboard modifiers: I, for example, use XDarwin and WindowMaker, Under XDarwin, Option emulates the button 2 modifier and Control the button 3 Modifier. Mod1 is ModeSwitch under WindowMaker. I use a logitech mouse which is configured as following: left button: left clic, right button: right clic, wheel: scroll, wheel button: click mapped to button 3. With a single mouse button, you can use a combinaison of ctrl and cmd. Same under Apple X11, as long as you authorize the emulation as under XDarwin. Note that, apart of this, I did not remap any key (which, in my case, always led to worse behaviour).
It's not perfect, but then under TeXmacs, I use escape to obtain Meta, escape escape to obtain Alt. Then (on a French keyboard, which uses the alt key to produce accentuated character), for the few shortcuts, which are not directly accessible, I use the menu or the icons on the icons bars (when they exist) and all accentuated characters are still produced as they should.

Michèle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org/>