Re: Reference counting in TeXmacs

  • From: Salman Khilji <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Reference counting in TeXmacs
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:13:45 -0700

> please, read some tutorial texts on reference counting.
> Scott Meyers "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++" should help.
> You obviously do not understand the concept of object sharing
> and multiple references. In regard to couple of your previous emails,
> a little bit of tolerance and more friendly attitude would help.
>
> --Leo--

Yeah...now that I think of it, if you want to share an object between two
objects, then you may want to use reference counting.

I personally haver never needed to use reference counting though. Simply
because I have somehow managed to never use sharing. Not that I have avoided
sharing....sharing just never came to my mind when coding.

Nevertheless, I agree with Stephane that TeXmacs code is not C++ like. Not
that it shadows any bad impressions on the author of the code itself. I
think Joris has done a remarkable job. Not every C++ developer (like me)
understands scheme, and going thru the code gives me a feeling that the code
simply is not c++ like.

Salman