Re: [Fink-users] Disabling texmacs dirty hacks

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [Fink-users] Disabling texmacs dirty hacks
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:58:59 +0200

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 08:13:37PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > I was recently out to fix the problems the insane guile-config
> > hack is causing. Somehow, Joris feels compelled to use this kind
> > of ugliness so I had to find a way to disable this optionnaly.
[...]
> > Hopefully, that modification will be merged for the next release.
>
> Hopefully, someone will come with a patch which makes TeXmacs
> works in a straightforward way with all guile distributions.

My conviction is that either:

-- guile is correctly installed, so the guile-guessing stuff is
entirely uneeded.

-- guile is installed in some weird in broken way such that libguile
is unable to find its stuff by itself and GUILE_LOAD_PATH is not
set correctly in the environment.

In the latter case, the user should do one of the following:

-- install GUILE properly

-- ask the nearest "guru" to fix it

-- update the distribution

I know of no situation where guile cannot find its own stuff and the
user/administrator is not to blame for incompetence and usage of
hopelessly antiquated software. But I do not know everything and I am
willing to learn :-)

In any case, as far as I can tell, the guile-guessing stuff is
entirely superfluous and does much more harm than good. I only figure
out ways to go on using it because you somehow were convinced that
application should second guess the administrator, the library
developpers and the user.

--
-- ddaa