Re: [Fink-users] Disabling texmacs dirty hacks

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [Fink-users] Disabling texmacs dirty hacks
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:39:38 +0200

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 11:13:38AM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> I am willing to try suppressing the guile-guessing for a while and
> see whether we get any complaints.

Glad to read this.

> However, we do need a way to check whether guile has been well
> installed on the system. I may look whether 'guile' is in the path,
> but I am not sure that this is sufficient.

There is not point in such an exercise.

"guile is well installed" is equivalent to:

A. the version of libguile with which texmacs is linked is available.

B. libguile it can find its associated stuff.

If A is not true, then texmacs will not even load because the run-time
link will fail. We might supply a dummy software linked with guile
just to test this condition and provide an error message from the
startup script. But it is probably not even worth the trouble because:

-- if the user has installed texmacs from source, then the
configuration and build would only succeed if guile is installed.

-- if the user has installed texmacs from its distribution, the
package dependences ensure that everything needed is here

-- if the user has installed texmacs from the static rpm, then
everything is included.

If A is true and not B, then see my previous post: the administrator
is at fault.

--
-- ddaa