Re: [Fink-users] TeXmacs and Maxima

  • From: Martin Costabel <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [Fink-users] TeXmacs and Maxima
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:03:14 +0200

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

In the case of maxima, I see in the texmacs sources, in init_texmacs.cc,
the following code

string where= concretize (resolve_in_path ("maxima"));
string s = var_eval_system ("grep 'MAXIMA_DIRECTORY=' " * where);

But the only occurrence of MAXIMA_DIRECTORY in the maxima script is in
the following interesting paragraph (I am not making this up!). From
/sw/bin/maxima:

# For some reason TeXmacs sets MAXIMA_DIRECTORY to the empty string,
# which breaks maxima's internal path logic. This is a workaround.
if [ -z "$MAXIMA_DIRECTORY" ]; then
unset MAXIMA_DIRECTORY
fi

This looks like a case of deep mutual misunderstanding.

Which version of TeXmacs did you try?

texmacs-1.0.1.14 and maxima-5.9.0.0

Just to make sure I was not misunderstood: The claim that "TeXmacs sets MAXIMA_DIRECTORY to the empty string" is not from me, it is from maxima.

OTOH, the line
string s = var_eval_system ("grep 'MAXIMA_DIRECTORY=' " * where);
is from the texmacs-1.0.1.14 sources.

--
Martin