Re: [TeXmacs] Exporting to Latex when the document contains macros

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Joseph Coffey <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Christophe Raffalli <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Exporting to Latex when the document contains macros
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:12:51 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Joseph Coffey wrote:
> What is the proper way to export a TeXmacs document which contains macros?
>
> * First I tried doing it naively-just pressing export and letting it
> go. However this causes the latex file to ask for macros.sty (if
> this is the name of the corresponding macro file).

That certainly does not work and probably shouldn't work.

> * Then I tried exporting the macro file as well. This time it gets
> upset that there are two document classes (source and article),
> and after complaining about a variety of other problems generates
> only 1 page dvi file.

Probably the macros should be exported as a .cls file and something
special needs to be done. If a LaTeX hacker can assist us what would
be the best thing to do and where to put generated .cls files...

> * Finally I tried just pasting in the exported macros. This works
> ok, except that the macros which were written "with math" do not
> export properly. (at least I believe this is the source of my
> woes). It seems to me that the proper export of
> o <assign|db|<macro|<with|mode|math|blah blah>>>>
> o should be:\newcommand{\db}{\ensuremath{blah blah} not
> o \newcommand{\db}{${blah blah}$}
>
> The present method causes a large number of error messages, because the
> way TeXmacs treats the macros when I edit is like an ensure math (I
> think). Most of the error messages generated are not serious, however
> the results are unpredictable, and not terrible easy to fix up.

I know; this actually is the main problem when exporting macros.
I personally put all my mathematical macro definitions inside
math mode and that usually does the trick. It does not check
whether you are really in math mode during the LaTeX-phase though,
but that does not really bother me.

Best wishes, Joris