Re: [TeXmacs] Question about BibTex

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Javier Arántegui <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Question about BibTex
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:01:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Javier Arántegui wrote:
> El Lunes, 11 de Octubre de 2004 11:03, Joris van der Hoeven escribió:
> > If I understand you well, you do manage to compile your bibliography using
> > Elsevier's elsart-harv.bst style, but you don't like the way references to
> > citations show up?
>
> Yes, that's it. For example, instead of "[Gongora-Nieto et-al.
> (2004)Gongora-Nieto, Pedrow, Swanson, and Barbosa-Canovas]", I want to get
> "Gongora-Nieto et al., 2004".
>
> > In that case, you probably want to redefine the \cite macro in some way.
> > By default, it uses the style [cit1, cit2, ..., citn], but you may
> > want to change this.
>
> Probably, that would be the fastest solution but, what would happen if I
> were
> preparing two papers for different journals (with different citation
> styles)?
> Should I redefine that macro everytime? Which chapter of documentation
> should
> I read to learn to redefine that macro?

I must say that I am a bit puzzled about your example.
How is the text "Gongora-Nieto et al., 2004" determined by TeX/LaTeX
from "Gongora-Nieto et-al. (2004)Gongora-Nieto, Pedrow, Swanson, and
Barbosa-Canovas"? It seems to me that something non-trivial is going
on here.

As to writing macros and style files,

Help->Manual->Writing your own style files

contains the information you need. The "cite" macro is defined in
"std-automatic.ts". In fact, you probably want to redefine "render-cite".
Before I can give better advice on how to rewrite this macro,
you first need to find out what it should do more precisely.