Re: [TeXmacs] Lists of citations & references and quick movement

  • From: Svante Bjoerklund <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Lists of citations & references and quick movement
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 19:24:43 +0200

Thank you for you answer.

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:33:33PM +0200, Svante Bjoerklund wrote:
>>By the way, it took me a long time before I understood that I should press
>>RETURN after the label name when using M-! and M-?. I was nearly abandoning
>>TeXmacs because of this.
>

> Well, this is explained at several places in the documentation.
> Furthermore, a message appears on the footer when pressing M-! or M-?.
> But maybe this is not enough...

I have read section "5.1 Creating labels, links and references" in the user guide. That should be the correct place I think to explain the necessary things about cross references. I do not see anything about the need to press RETURN. There is, however, I see now, a word "inactive", which I skipped because I didn't know what that ment. If "acive", "inactive", "activation" etc. is explained somethere else in the user guide, a cross reference from the word "inactive" in "5.1 Creating labels, links and references" to that explanation probably would have helped me. (Where can I find information about "acive", "inactive", "activation" etc.?)

The message on the footer says "return:activate". I didn't understand this. I didn't understand what "activate" means. I think it was not even clear to me that "return" ment the "return key". I didn't understand how TeXmacs works. Now, on the other side, the foooter message seems obvious.

I also didn't find any references in the TeXmacs User Manual that I could learn from.

>>In TeXmacs 1.0.5.4 the keys M-! and M-? does not work for me. They did
>>earlier (in TeXmacs 1.0.5 I think). The menus work.
>

> I could not reproduce this in today's TeXmacs 1.0.5.5.

Maybe it has something to do with my Swedish keyboard. Keys and characters are located differently on keyboards for different countries. For example, on a Swedish keyboard it is difficult to type Alt-$ without three hands. On the other side, I am very satisfied that the special keys Copy, Paste, Cut and Undo on my SUN USB keyboard connected to my PC Linux computer work without any configuration.