Re: [TeXmacs] Mapping the Ins key

  • From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: David MENTRE <address@hidden>
  • Cc: TeXmacs users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Mapping the Ins key
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:41:18 +0200

> Space bar bringing a multiplication instead of a space as *standard
> behaviour*?!? Are you mad??

Yes, but only in math mode.

Having a tiny key in the middle of the keyboard for the most used
character in math mode, which has to be typed together with a modifier
(Shift-8 in US Keyboard, Shift-+ in Spanish) is really a hindrance to
typing throughput.

Think twice about it: after all, typing a multiplication sign just
produces the right amount of space. This is statistically the most
frequently arising blank space in math mode, no question about that.

So (a) it is not counterintuitive and (b) it is more efficient than the
current layout.

> No offense intended but this seem to me the most strange request that I
> have ever seen.

No offense taken ;). I don't really have the choice either (a) to type
at snail speed or (b) to omit the structural and typesetting-wise
important multiplication sign. Therefore this solution is good for me
and I reckon, for others too.

Regards,

Álvaro.