Re: [TeXmacs] speech and handwriting plugin

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] speech and handwriting plugin
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:15:36 +0200

My name is Timothy Paik. I'm an undergraduate student at UC Berkeley working
in a group under Professor Richard Fateman. We have been trying to create an
easy way for people to input math through speech and handwriting. We have a
program called MathSpeakAndWrite implemented in C#, and are attempting to
write a plugin that will run this program and convert the output into a
format that TeXmacs will understand.

We have three questions: First, is there anyone who already has written a
plugin like this for TeXmacs?

I don't think so.

Second, is there anyone who might be interested in such a program if it were
to work well?

For sure.

Finally, (and this is a long shot), our initial attempt to copy the help file
to write a program (like minimal), ended up with only one of the two windows
necessary for the program showing up (alas, the less important one)...is that
something someone happens to know a lot about?

The minimal plugin is perhaps a too... minimal starting point, I would say.

As soon as you are able to generate the TeXmacs output, it is definitely
feasible to send it to a program that will interactively insert it into
a TeXmacs document (I did such a thing myself).

It looks like this :
[[
+----------+ +-------+ +-------+
|Generating| --(sending the output)--> |TeXmacs| --(socket)--> |TeXmacs|
|the output| |plugin | +-------+
+----------+ +-------+
]]

On the other hand, TeXmacs doesn't work well with several
windows (I mean : there are tricks, namely, you can open
the same TeXmacs with two windows containing two different
documents) but there is no thing as in Emacs for dividing
the window in two subwindows.

Could you give a more detailed description of what you need, I don't
understand why you need two TeXmacs windows. Wouldn't it be sufficient
with one window with your C# speech understanding program, one TeXmacs
document inside which the mathematical text appears when the user speaks,
and one (invisible) plugin that gets its input from the C# program and
spits its output to the TeXmacs window ?

Best, Henri