Re: [TeXmacs] speech and handwriting plugin

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] speech and handwriting plugin
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:50:52 +0200

Hi Timothy,

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 09:25:35AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> My name is Timothy Paik. I'm an undergraduate student at UC Berkeley
> working in a group under Professor Richard Fateman. We have been trying
> to create an easy way for people to input math through speech and
> handwriting.
> We have a program called MathSpeakAndWrite implemented in C#,
> and are attempting to write a plugin that will run this program and
> convert the output into a format that TeXmacs will understand.

Nice project.

> We have three questions: First, is there anyone who already has written
> a plugin like this for TeXmacs?

No.

> Second, is there anyone who might be interested in such a program if
> it were to work well?

Sure. Some users asked me about that, but we do not have time to write
such a program ourselves. As to handwriting, notice that the big-screen
tablet PC's are more popular in the US than in Europe I don't know why.
Probably, there would be more users for such a plug-in if TeXmacs were
ported to pocket PC's.

I also think that it should be relatively easy to write a TeXmacs plug-in
for this kind of functionnality. So your projects seems perfectly feasable.

> Finally, (and this is a long shot), our initial attempt to copy
> the help file to write a program (like minimal), ended up with only
> one of the two windows necessary for the program showing up
> (alas, the less important one)...is that something someone
> happens to know a lot about?

I recently heard that there are some bugs with multiple windows when
using WinTeXmacs. Anyway, for testing TeXmacs plug-ins, I recommend
to take the Linux version rather than WinTeXmacs (still a bit unstable
in this respect). Cygwin should be fine too.

Please let us know in case of problems and/or success.

Best wishes, Joris