TeXmacs for poster presentations?

  • From: Alexander Schmolck <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs for poster presentations?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:28:29 +0000

Is TeXmacs suited for developing scientific posters for conferences? Has
anyone done so and can give some pointers?

Whilst TeXmacs doesn't currently meet my needs for writing articles (although
I still find it handy for writing and then exporting formulas or writing
notes), it would seem like an area where TeXmacs' could play its strengths
(quick and convenient math-entry and WYSIWYG which should mean quicker
turnaround and exploration of design ideas) against LaTeX while not suffering
much from its weaknesses (not many style-files etc.).

Some other questions: TeXmacs has the "feature" that bold by default results
in bold-italic in math mode -- is there an easy and covenient way to get bold
symbols to be nonitalic by default in math mode (complying to the standard
notation for linear algebra)? By convenient I mean it shouldn't result in more
work for me then it currently takes to get a bold-italic symbol (pressing f6).
In a similar vein, but less importantly, it might also be nice to have a bold
mode that didn't result in bold symbols (as in latex), since that isn't
typically what one wants.

Another thing: I notice that TeXmacs gets the orientation of some eps files
wrong (one example was something I generated in inkscape) that are correctly
displayed by e.g. gv. What can be done to force a certain orientation?

cheers,

'as