Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs for poster presentations?

  • From: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Alexander Schmolck <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs for poster presentations?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:11:54 +0100

What I've been doing, both for posters and articles, was to write the
content in TeXmacs, export to LaTeX and have an automatic postprocessing
script that modifies the LaTeX to produce a poster or article with the
correct format.

I.e., all the special details like the exact column positioning in the
poster, the poster header or the front matter of the article are written
directly into a LaTeX skeleton, but the bulk text is written in TeXmacs
and inserted into that skeleton automatically.

This does not help at all in designing the overall layout of the poster,
but I fear that TeXmacs is not very well suited to handle the layout of
a A0-page in any comfortable way.

Where it helps a lot, though, is in writing the bulk text of the poster
or the article very comfortably and edit the formulas with the best
formula editor I've ever seen. (Not only once at creation time, but also
for later changes.)

The conversion skript need not be very complex. All it has to do is to
cut away header and footer from the exported LaTex and replace them by a
template written by hand. For me it is a 20-line Python skript, but any
other skripting language should do just as well.