Re: [TeXmacs] question on the figures or table index

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Jack <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] question on the figures or table index
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:58:44 +0100

Jack wrote:

Dear All,

I still have the problem to get index of figures or tables working well.

Basically, I have the two questions as below

1> Caption name of figure: once I insert the image in somewhere of the content, the page number can be generated easily by the automatic update on the index of figures, but the caption name never appears.

In your document, the markup for the figures (for the 1st one) is :
[[
<small-figure|<postscript|file:///C:/research06/PhDthesis/Image1.bmp|*5/8|*5/8||||>|>
]]

There is no caption name in this markup, so it is natural that you cannot
see any. If you change the markup to :
[[
<small-figure|<postscript|file:///C:/research06/PhDthesis/Image1.bmp|*5/8|*5/8||||>|My caption>
]]

you will see :
[[
Figure 1.1. My caption
]]

as expected.

Alternatively, just after having inserted a new figure using
the menu Insert/Image/Small figure, you can also directly
change the caption by directly pointing the mouse to the
cursor position after "Figure 1.1.", and then directly
inputting your caption here.

2> Question mark on page number: sometimes, the automated page number on the index of content and index of figures becomes question mark due to some unknown reasons. I guess it give rise to some hidden control code. Please advise the trick how to get the clean index.

I don't know the solution for this one.

It seems that the index calculations are buggy in some cases. There are
other similar bugs that need to be fixed, but this is not my own stuff.
Thus the best thing to do is to remember that these (important) problems
must be investigated in the future. Thank you for reporting this problem,
especially for the attached file, that is now here as evidence for
this bug.

If you know a way to obtain a complete numbering (when TeXmacs
starts for the 1st time, for example, although I don't have a
correct numbering myself in this case), then you could perhaps
keep your document as it is. Otherwise, the (boring) "solution"
would be to use a manual numbering... Another way would be
to hack a workaround in Scheme that traverses the document
and does the appropriate numbering, but I don't know if it
is easy...

Best, Henri