Re: [TeXmacs] two questions about fonts

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] two questions about fonts
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:17:21 +0100

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:29:30PM -0500, David G. Wonnacott wrote:
> I've got TeXmacs working with Type 1 fonts now, and am very happy with
> the results. I have two questions:
>
> 1) Why are the fonts listed under "Document->Font->Text Font"
> different from those listed under "Format->(Font) Name"?

In different modes (text, mathematics, programming),
the fonts are different, so you can specify defaults for each mode.

> For example, Adobe "New Century Schoolbook" is listed in
> the latter but not the former.

The Document -> Font -> Text Font menu is incomplete indeed.
This should be arranged during the reorganisation of our GUI.

> 2) What is the copyright status of the fonts distributed with
> TeXmacs, and how do I know I've got a TeXmacs-distributed
> font and not some other font with different copyright
> status?
>
> In particular, I would like to put some documents out on
> lulu.com, but don't want to worry about copyright issues on
> the fonts I use.

All fonts are guaranteed to be free fonts.

The only exception which I have to fix when I have time is
with some of the oriental CJK fonts, which can be downloaded
from the website. It seems that the Japanese IPA fonts are distributed
with an inappropriate license.