Re: Re : [TeXmacs] Maxima

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Re : [TeXmacs] Maxima
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:35:29 +0600 (NOVT)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, address@hidden wrote:
Ok : my Texmacs version is winTexmacs 1.0.5
and my Maxima is 5.9.3,
It seems you are using MS Windows.

WinTeXmacs was a port of TeXmacs-1.0.5 to Windows. It is very outdated: the current version is 1.0.6.9. It is not maintained for a very long time, since its original author abandoned it (and not a single member of the community of Windows users proposed to take over its maintainance). And even when it was new, many plugins (including the maxima plugin) were not fully ported to Windows (because it is nearly impossible to port sh scripts full of grep, sed etc. to a platform where none of these standard tools are available). This incomplete port of the TeXmacs-maxima interface also could not autodetect versions of maxima installed, and supported exactly one version, I already don't remember which one (it was so long ago). If I remember correctly, winTeXmacs has some text file somewhere (plugins.txt or something similar), and users have to edit it to make TeXmacs aware of external programs and paths to them. It also has the file texmacs-maxima-x.y.z.lisp somewhere (where x.y.z is the maxima version). A user can replace it by a more recent one from modern TeXmacs, and to edit maxima-init.scm so that this newer file is mentioned instead of the old one. By the way, the current version of maxima is 5.11.0.Many features of the TeXmacs interface will not work, they require a more recent maxima-input.scm, but, maybe, it can also be replaced.

I cannot check this, because I don't have access to any computer running MS Windows (and in any case, I know very little about this OS).

Maybe, a modern cygTeXmacs will be better, but I don't know how it interacts with external programs (does it need cygwin maxima or native one?). The best solution is, of course, to use a better OS.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful,
Andrey