Re: [TeXmacs] installation of stable Wintexmacs urgent question to Texmacs team

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Jack Zhang <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] installation of stable Wintexmacs urgent question to Texmacs team
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:38:51 +0200

Jack Zhang wrote:

I am confused a little bit by your various version for Windows OS. To
make my old Wintexmacs working. Can you tell me what's the main problem
for my installation.

Things are rather simple, either :

1. You use WinTeXmacs, which is more lightweight, but is
currently unmaintained. As a consequence, some features
are broken, and currently, nobody will fix them (it will
probably change in the future, but not now, we need
to finish simplifying the codebase to be able to resume
working on WinteXmacs) ;

2. You use CygTeXmacs, which is the version of TeXmacs
that works on top of CygWin (CygWin is the flavor of UNIX
which is implemented on top of Windows). This CygTeXmacs
version of TeXmacs is compiled from the same code as the
standard UNIX TeXmacs, therefore it is always up to date,
but if you want to use it, you need CygWin. I guess the
archive :
<<
ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/pub/TeXmacs/cygwin/CygTeXmacs.zip

is self-contained, and that it installs a (stripped) version
of CygWin in the same time. Otherwise, you should install
CygWin first, but I don't think its necessary.