Re: [TeXmacs] HOWTO: get multi-character math identifiers in the default math italic font?

  • From: Jeremy Henty <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] HOWTO: get multi-character math identifiers in the default math italic font?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:26:28 +0100

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:53:57PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:31:49PM +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> > I was able to do it by inserting a zero-width space between the "d"
> > and "x" of "dx" but that's an awful hack.
>
> This is exactly what you *should* do, since dx *means* d applied to
> x.

And there's no less awkward way to do this? That would make
typesetting calculus in TeXmacs rather painful. And not just
calculus. Surely I don't have to go through such convolutions just to
write "the area of a rectangle of height $h$ and width $w$ is $wh$".

> However, you should rather use "d tab tab", so as to distinguish
> the operator d from the letter d.

That generates an upright "d". I want a math italic "d", just as it
is in every calculus text I've ever seen.

Jeremy Henty