Feature request: subscript expression for Maxima session

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Feature request: subscript expression for Maxima session
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 20:05:54 +0200 (CEST)

The expression x[1] in Maxima is actually a list element, but wxMaxima and
TeXmacs will display it as x_sub_1, which is very nice to read especially
when you deal with long expression. I have been use this to put subscript
under variables. However, it is a bad habit in terms of Maxima usage.

If the frontend engine, such as wxMaxima or TeXmacs can display x_1 as
(imagine this in your mind) x_sub_1, then the frontend did its great job by
display the Maxima results in a more human readable form.

One step further, if TeXmacs can display x_alpha as x_sub_(Greek font alpha),
then it will be event better. For some reason, my Texmacs 1.0.6 will display
x_alpha as x'alpha. I don't know why there is a "single quote"-like stuff in
between.

Also, although a variable, alpha, will be display as (Greek font alpha) even
without a leading %, but alpha_1 will break the magic and no Greek font will
be displayed. If TeXmacs can display that as (Greek font alpha)_sub_1, then
it will be fantastic.

Thank you for the consideration of this request.

Puck