Re: [TeXmacs] SAGE

  • From: "Mike Hansen" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] SAGE
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:29:45 -0600

For the interfaces that Sage provides, it does little to no parsing.
Instead, it creates a Sage (Python) object which corresponds to an
object/variable in the other CAS. It talks to the other CASs through
a pseudo-tty interface. Here's an example Sage session using the
Magma interface:

sage: P.<x> = PolynomialRing(ZZ)
sage: f = x^2 + x +1
sage: type(f)
<type
'sage.rings.polynomial.polynomial_integer_dense_ntl.Polynomial_integer_dense_ntl'>
sage: f^2
x^4 + 2*x^3 + 3*x^2 + 2*x + 1
sage: g = magma(f)
sage: g
x^2 + x + 1
sage: type(g) #The Python type of g
<class 'sage.interfaces.magma.MagmaElement'>
sage: g.name() #The name of the variable in the Magma session
'_sage_[2]'
sage: g^2
x^4 + 2*x^3 + 3*x^2 + 2*x + 1
sage: g+4*x
x^2 + 5*x + 1
sage: g.BaseRing()
Integer Ring
sage: g.Factorization()

[
<_x^2 + _x + 1, 1>
]

sage: g.LeadingTerm()
x^2
sage: g.Derivative()
2*x + 1
sage: g.IsMonic()
true
sage: S5 = magma.SymmetricGroup(5)
sage: S5

Symmetric group acting on a set of cardinality 5
Order = 120 = 2^3 * 3 * 5
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
(1, 2)
sage: S5.Order()
120
sage: S5.IsAbelian()
false

Sage also interfaces with some CASs through a C-library interface (for
example, Pari and Singular).

The Sage plugin is based on the Python plugin since Sage is written in
Python. Since the plugin is in Python also you can do some neat
things like inspect the objects that are returned / created. There is
some information on it here: http://wiki.sagemath.org/TeXmacs . One
thing that it doesn't do is handle TeXmacs' 2D math input.

--Mike