Some problems and fixes for the 'elsart' style

  • From: "Stephane Popinet" <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Some problems and fixes for the 'elsart' style
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:26:08 +1300

Hi there,

I am using texmacs 1.0.6.10 on an Ubuntu 7.10 system to write a paper
for Journal of Computational Physics (an Elsevier publication).

First of all thanks to all for a wonderful program.

It seems that the elsart texmacs style was designed to work with a
Harvard-style bibliography (i.e. elsart-harv.bst) with citations
rendered like "(Popinet, 2003)". A number of Elsevier publications use
numbers (i.e. elsart-num.bst) rendered as "[1]". This does not seem to
work with the elsart texmacs style in my version and is rendered instead
as sthg like "[1,?]". The fix for this is to remove the
"cite-author-year" from the list of packages included by the elsart.ts
style.

I thought that would be doable just by selecting the Document->Remove
package->Customize->cite-author-year menu, but this does not seem to
work (even after regenerating the bibliography etc...). I has to create
my own style file starting from elsart.ts and editing the file i.e.

<use-package|std|env-base|env-flush-math|env-theorem|env-float|
header-article|section-article|title-generic|std-latex>

Another problem was that the elsart.ts style was resetting the equation
numbers for each Section of the document. That doesn't seem like what
you want for an article... (I can't think of any journal where this is
done, possibly some books??). The fix there is to change:

<assign|section-clean|<macro|<reset-subsection><reset-std-env>>>

<assign|section-clean|<macro|<reset-subsection>>>

I am not sure if this doesn't break other things though...

cheers

Stephane

  • Some problems and fixes for the 'elsart' style, Stephane Popinet, 12/20/2007