Texmacs and version control (CVS or SVN)

  • From: "David G. Wonnacott" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Texmacs and version control (CVS or SVN)
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everybody,

I've been using TeXmacs instead of LaTeX happily for several years now
for projects of my own for which a final PDF is required. I'm now
looking at totally converting, and wanted to ask about experiences
with what I see as the two big hurdles I'll have to overcome:

1) Version control and support for collaboration --- it is my
impression that there are plans to make TeXmacs connect well to
some sort of version control system, but that for the moment, one
simply uses CVS or SVS or something to keep versions of the .tm
files.

My experience with LaTeX is that when one does this as part of a
group of several people, there are often "CVS conflicts" in which
CVS leaves >>> and <<< marks in the .tex file in ways that prevent
LaTeX from processing it until one goes in with emacs/vi and
resolves the conflicts in terms of the LaTeX source.

Is it necessary to go into the .tm file with emacs/vi and resolve
conflicts there? How bad would this be for folks who are not
steeped in the .tm format? What does TeXmacs do when it reads an
invalid file? Are there other things I should know about or be
asking about?

2) Export to LaTeX and use of other style files --- a few tests
suggest that the "export to LaTeX" feature works quite well. How
hard it is to then integrate one's work with the LaTeX ".sty" file,
when one is communicating with a journal or conference that
requires LaTeX source that conforms to their style? (Too bad they
don't accept texmacs source, but at least they don't require .doc
format!).

Thanks for any advice,
Dave Wonnacott