Re: [TeXmacs] (pdf export) [was: problem (PDF attached)]

  • From: Paul Zarucki <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] (pdf export) [was: problem (PDF attached)]
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:34:02 +0000

Hi Vincent,

It might help to know which operating system you are using.

As far as I know, Texmacs uses Ghostscript, the postscript interpreter commonly used on Unix/Linux systems, to convert between PDF/postscript and other formats. The version of postscript interpreter installed on your system might be the reason for your problem. Using your document DS3.tm as a test, Debian 4.0 works very well for me whereas Ubuntu 8.04 fails miserably and won't even display the graphics correctly on screen.

In Debian, I installed the following packages from the official repository:

texmacs (version 1.0.6-10)
texmacs-extra-fonts (version 1.0.6-10)
groff (version 1.18.1.1-12)

Debian's package manager decided that the following packages were also needed and installed those as well:

gs-gpl (version 8.54.dfsg.1-5etch1)   <=== Postscript interpreter
libltdl3 (version 1.5.22-4)
libt1-5 (version 5.1.0-2etch1)
tetex-base (version 3.0.dfsg.3-5etch1)
tetex-bin (version 3.3-30)
tetex-extra (version 3.0.dfsg.3-5etch1)
tex-common (version 1.0.1)
texmacs-common (version 1.0.6-10)

I would like to find a good choice of operating system and packages to recommend to other people who are interested in doing maths with free software, so I thought it might help to set up some virtual computers to try out different options. I created one with Ubuntu 8.04 and another with Debian 4.0, both newly installed. I then installed Texmacs from the official package repositories in each system.

So far, Debian 4.0 seems to be quite successful. Using the official Debian packages, Texmacs works "out of the box" with Maxima, Octave (2.1) and R (I have yet to try the other plugins). The PDF import and export both work well.

I will try installing Debian on a USB flash memory. Hope to have some success to report soon!

Regards,

Paul.

el.douwen wrote: ok
i am sorry if i did not undersatnd everything
now, can anyone remember me the name of the "external software" that may cause me problems

i usually export geogebra images to pdf format
then i insert them in my texmacs files
then i export these files to pdf format

in these 3 operations, what are the names of the software that are working ?
i suppose that i can find a new version of them, and so resolve the problem

Vincent