Re: [TeXmacs] Hello

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Hello
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 18:20:24 +0200

Hi,

Yes, the help system is yet to be completed ;^)

In order to make C-h work as you would like, one first has to write
some scheme code for the automatic generation of documentation.
When looking at the file docgrep.scm, you can study an example
how this can be done. As soon as you have functions 'describe-key',
'describe-function', etc. It will be easy to bind them to
the keys you want.

> I did find a few similar commands in TeXmacs:
> (kbd-find-inv-binding com)
> (kbd-find-key-binding key)
> (kbd-get-command key)
>
> I started playing with these a while ago.

Yes, these are the functions to use.
You will have to check the way they are mode-dependent, too.

> One thing we have to keep in mind; There are a LOT of key binding in
> TeXmacs. I may generate a table of key bindings, but it will be quite large.

Yes, there are many keybindings and that is one of the reasons why
I did not write the 'describe-key', 'describe-mode', etc. commands yet.
For a nice display, it would be useful to provide several ways
for sorting and displaying them. For instance, one might be interested
in the keystrokes which are specific to the current mode.
Also, it would be nice if we could invent some way of grouping
them by categories. One might add a ':subject' option to tm-define.
Of course, the prefixes already indicate some structure.
One may also try to group keys like 'left', 'right', etc.

Before the description of keyboard shortcuts, it would already be useful
to have something for the automatic generation of help for functions.
Some help can be generated from the options to tm-define. One might also
want to display the source-code or a link to the source code and
use doc-grep to find further explanations in the hand-written documentation.

Anyway, any help concerning the automatic generation of documentation
would be very useful.

Best wishes, Joris

P.S.1: I suggest that we continue the discussion on address@hidden
P.S.2: I will be off for two weeks.

  • Re: [TeXmacs] Hello, Joris van der Hoeven, 08/07/2009