Re: [TeXmacs] Fwd: [Texmacs-dev] Re: savannah downtime

  • From: Liu Yubao <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Fwd: [Texmacs-dev] Re: savannah downtime
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 00:35:49 +0800

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Gubinelli Massimiliano
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2 déc. 10, at 06:16, Yubao Liu wrote:
>>
>> I didn't notice the git mirror at gitorious and just mirrored one to
>> https://github.com/Dieken/texmacs, it's done with git-svn not svn2git
>> which seems better.
>>
>> Is the gitorious mirror official? texmacs's git repository is only 38 MB,
>> I think it's not a big problem to clone it.
>>

> It is official. We decided to keep it in sync with the main svn repository.
> I saw that you have git-svn metadata in your repository. How does it work?
> (I would like to replicate this on my repository). How do you save and
> restore metadata? It is not possible to simply mirror the locally generated
> repository (via git-svn) to the server (thus including all the metadata)?

Glad to know it's official, could you add a link to texmacs.org?

That git-svn metadata is obtained by the stupidest way, I just manually copy
.git/config and .git/svn to work tree and record them in git repository:-)
I record the meta data because it seems git-svn must re-sync from scratch
if I delete my local git repository.
// Just verified, missing .git/svn doesn't matter, git-svn will
rebuild it if has proper
// .git/config (contains git-svn configuration), but it's very slow for me.

I notice your git mirror was just set up two days ago, I suggest you create
it again when it's not used widely now. Here are the recommended steps:

* use svn2git, not git-svn directly, I just found svn2git after I
mirrored texmacs
svn repository, it's annoying that git-svn doesn't convert svn
branches/tags to
git branches/tags.
https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git/
http://help.github.com/svn-importing/
* use an author file to obtain pretty author information in git,
a full author list could be
obtained by parsing output of comand "svn log
svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/texmacs".
* think about creating a separate branch from the initial commit
to record git-svn/svn2git
related meta data like I did, then you could do the
synchronization everywhere quickly
without synchronizing from scratch or rebuilding git-svn meta
data. This isn't a prefect
way as the .git/svn directory is 7.6 MB now, maybe it's better
to store it separate from
the git repository.
(I don't know if svn2git will save meta data automatically.)

I strongly advise texmacs to fully adopt git, as the whole texmacs git
repository is only 30 MB
(not containing 7.6 MB .git/svn directory) and a local repository is
vey convenient to do history
digging and "bisect". People wouldn't like to clone whole git
repository could do a shallow clone
which would be very quick.

I will destroy my git mirror soon because it's not set up perfectly
and I'm afraid I have not
enough energy to keep it up with upstream. I'll clone yours if you
create it again.

Regards,
Yubao Liu