Re: [TeXmacs] Float big table in two columns document

  • From: "Pablo S. Casas" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Float big table in two columns document
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:56:23 +0100 (CET)

From: Peter Rapčan <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:31:41 +0100

> Hi Pablo,
>
> Regarding your PS. I never had speed problems with floating objects,
> but things get very slow once you use the 2-column mode (I guess the
> calculating the best layout an typesetting is much more complicated
> in such case). Do you experience the slowdown in the 1-column regime
> as well?
>

> Best,
>
> Peter.

Hi Peter:

You are right. If I use 1-column mode with several floats in a 15
pages document, editing the document is slow, but each modification
takes some seconds to recalculate the layout. In 2-column mode those
seconds of wait become more than 20 minutes, even for a simple added
letter to the document.

The conclusion to use floats is: edit your the document in 1-column
mode if possible and at the last stage when the document is almost
final, change it to 2-column mode. Or even better, avoid floats till
the final stages of edition.

Thanks for your comments.

Pablo S. Casas