Re: [TeXmacs] Strange artifacts on PNG image

  • From: Sam Liddicott <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Strange artifacts on PNG image
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:59:41 +0000

My guess is that you are using ghostscript 9.x

They changed the ps2write target to convert a bitmap into a series of vector draws - I think so that colour space mapping would work on the bitmap. It has the side effect of making the generated post-script enourmous and also slow to generate and slow to render.

I rasied this with the ghostscript guys who mentioned that they would add an ep2swrite target in the future that did not do this, but that until then, we were stuck (and basically it serves us right for mis-using the ps2write target).

For me the fix was to use imagemagick to process embedded bitmaps into ps, or use qt_image_to_eps and process the generated ps with ps2ps

You'll find more info on the thread here, along with a patch:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/texmacs-dev/2011-05/msg00000.html

Maybe now, ghostscript has an ep2swrite target; but it will be an error to use the ps2write target on ghostscript > 9.x as I explain.

Sam